Saturday, April 24, 2010

Don't Look Back!

A few days ago, I learned a very valuable lesson. I spent the day surrounded by my past. I went to do the paper tasks I used to do at church on a daily basis. My contribution of time was intended to be a gift to the church and pastoral staff. I started out filled with joy. By the end of the day, I was frustrated, angry and depressed.

What happened? As I worked, I began to reflect on the hours and hours of time I had invested in the past. I didn't notice as the dark cloud of the enemy began to engulf me. Before long, all I could see were the failures of the past. By the time I left the building, I felt that all of my efforts for eleven years were a complete waste.

Praise the Lord that I am one of His sheep. I get to hear his voice! He simply said, "Don't look back!" Immediately the Holy Spirit brought scripture to mind. "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62)

Today, the Holy Spirit personalized that verse for me in such a way that I will be able to minister better in the future. It was as if He said to me, "When have put your hand to the plow and look back, you will see yourself and your efforts as being unfit for the Kingdom of God. You will become frustrated and want to quit. Don't do it!" Yes, I know the correct view of this scripture is that anyone wanting to be a disciple must be leave all behind and go forward with the Lord. It speaks of those who are not willing to cut their ties to the world. Today I see more than that.

When we look back over our lives, we can easily become discouraged. It appears from our point of view that the gifts of time and talent that we invested in the Kingdom were wasted. We see all the attempts that failed. The successes seem few and far between. Though we know we can't change the past, our hearts can be filled with what ifs... The Lord doesn't call us for that. He continually draws us towards His goal. Day by day He gives us the unction to respond by doing all sorts of tasks. Some tasks are exciting. Some are mundane. As long as we keep our hands on the plow and keep going forward, God's plan is being accomplished.

The Apostle Paul writes it this way:
I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven. (Philippians 3:12-14, New Living Translation)

Today, I have my hand on the plow and I'm not looking back!

1 comment: