Monday, April 5, 2010

"As for you, follow Me"

So here we are on Easter Monday. The baskets of candy and colored eggs are found. Easter Sunday services were attended at church. We celebrated the resurrection of our Lord once again. Now what? That is what I have been contemplating today.

Jesus appeared to many after He rose from the dead. Since that day, everyone who believes--that Jesus was born of a virgin, was crucified, died and buried, rose (with His body) from the dead and ascended to the Father--everyone who believes, is born anew by the Spirit of God. We are ones who have personally experienced a bit of resurrection ourselves. Our lives have changed. On Easter, we celebrate Jesus' resurrection, as well as our own new lives and the promise of our full resurrection when Jesus returns.

After the celebration is over, then what? What should we be doing while we wait for Jesus to return? It would not be appropriate to stand around looking at the sky waiting to see Jesus come back. The apostles were rebuked for doing that (Acts. 1:9-11). We know that He is returning. We must keep ourselves busy doing something. What shall we do?

In the Gospel narratives, Jesus gave his disciples instructions on what to do next. The Great Commission tells us to go, make disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them to keep Jesus' commandments. (Matthew 28:19-20). Mark's gospel adds the promise of signs following those who believe. (Mark 16:15-18). Jesus' instruction in the Gospel of Luke tells us to wait until we receive the promise of the Father, the empowering of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4-5). None of those are new to me. I have heard sermons on them repeatedly since receiving Jesus as my risen Savior almost 30 years ago.

Today, the gospel of John, chapter 21 is calling to me. Today, when I asked the Lord what I should do now, "What next, Lord?", He answered me with the words He spoke to Peter. This time it wasn't "Feed My lambs." or "Shepherd My sheep" or "Feed My sheep." I have heard that call before and willingly answered as the Lord made me able. Today I saw something else in Jesus' conversation with Peter that spoke directly to me. Jesus told Peter, "As for you, follow Me!" (John 21:22).

Lord, that is so simple yet requires so much faith. I need to actually listen for Your voice and go precisely where You tell me to go, without reservation. I dare not look at others to see what You call them to do. Today, as for me, I follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment