Monday, May 16, 2011

Why, Lord?

The marriage fails. The child dies. Cancer claims one more victim. What does one say in the face of tragedy?


As Christians, our hearts scream that we must say something. We look for answers for the hurting souls and there are none. Does it help to say God loves you? Does it help to say the devil is trying to destroy you? Does it help to say anything? Before we can comfort others, we need to see how the Lord brings comfort to us.


Scripture is full of stories of people who had terrible tragedy in their lives. Job lost all of his children and everything he owned. David's child died. Jephthah lost his daughter because of a rash vow. The New Testament was written by men who were martyred. Obviously, being a believer does not make one immune from tragedy.


Knowing that others have suffered tremendous loss does not bring me comfort. Even if I have suffered the same devastation as you have, you are not at all comforted by my loss. In fact, the magnitude of suffering in the world only adds to our frustration. Unlike the unbelievers, we know we cannot shake our fist at God. We know that He is sovereign and is in complete control. We know that He nevers leaves us forsaken. Yet we feel that circumstances are out of control and we feel alone in our grief. In our hopelessness, we look to heaven and say through our tears, "Why, God?"


That was the question of Jesus on the cross. "My God My God. Why hast Thou forsaken Me?" If anyone knows the Father, it is Jesus. He knows all of the scriptures and the right words to say. Yet he cried out, "Why God?"


Lately, I have considered the earth-shattering circumstances around me. My friend died of cancer. I watched people make absolutely stupid decisions that led to the destruction of marriages. Alzheimer's steals the minds of my friends. Children die in a fire. Bad things happen to good people. As events pile up, I sob in anguish because of my pain and loss.


I replay each incident in my mind. Was there something that I could have, should have done differently? What if I had prayed better, more, or at all? In my frenetic thoughts, there is a peace within that tells me there is nothing I could have done to change the outcome. In that moment, I feel the words rising up within me, "Why God?"


I am not accusing the Lord I love. My fist is not shaking in anger. With broken heart, I am looking for an answer that will give me the hope to continue standing in faith. 

The answer comes in the reassuring still small voice that simply reminds me that God is God.  Remembering His attributes tells me:  "I more than have it covered.  Just sit and rest in Me and wait.  Take this moment to know that I have not left you alone to fend for yourself.  Take this time to allow My Spirit to breathe over you.  There will be another day for fighting but today is Our day."

So today, I won't try to answer the questions of those who are suffering.  That doesn't mean I don't care.  That just means that I will allow God to answer for Himself.  And I will enjoy the presence of Abba Father.  Perhaps I should hang up the "Do Not Disturb" sign.   

No comments:

Post a Comment