Sunday, March 28, 2010

Explosion of Life

Today all the trees look pretty much dead. Driving along the streets that are still covered with sand from the winter, everywhere I look is brown and gray. Even the sky is gray. Will winter ever go away! Day after day, the grayness has held its grasp on my world. Even the occasional breaks of sunlight hasn't changed anything. Gray and dead all around.

Yet, deep within the heart of all that looks so dead dwells a powerful seed of life waiting to explode. The seed is hidden at the moment but that does not make it any less potent. One warm day, those seeds of life will explode. The world will break forth in splendid color. Gray will be replaced by pinks and oranges and greens and blues. All of God's critters will begin to run and frolic again. The sounds of song birds and children at play will blow away the cold winter winds. Then everyone will know that the appearance of death was just a temporary condition. The world is alive again.

Each spring, I am blessed to see resurrection playing out. In the same way, it appeared that there was no life left in Jesus when they placed Him in a tomb. But a few days later, the seed of resurrection life burst forth in His body and death could not keep Him. This year I needed a personal resurrection reminder for myself.

Ever experience gray days of winter in life? Unlike summer time and autumn when everything blooms and grows, winter is a season of no productivity. Projects never seem to get finished. Enthusiasm and excitement for new ideas have long gone. Every day appears to be the same. The alarm clock says it is time to get up so you drag your sorry carcass out of bed ready to do the same thing as yesterday and accomplish next to nothing. How depressing is that!

As I was driving down the street yesterday, I heard the cold wind, I saw the brown and gray all around me. I was so sick of winter, both literally and figuratively. Then I heard the still small voice of the Lord. "The same power that raised Jesus from the dead lives in you!" Then I saw it. The tiny seed of resurrection life deep in my heart waiting to explode. Just like winter is unable to stop spring from bursting forth, nothing can stop the Jesus' resurrection life within me. The bad report from the doctor can't. The unfinished projects can't. Even my poor attitude can't.

The trees aren't really dead. They just look that way for a season. The brown and gray have not taken over forever. It just seems that way. My lesson for today is to remember that even in the darkest winter, life is still there just waiting. In God's perfect timing, there will be an explosion of life and winter will fade. So today I say, "Wind, you go ahead and blow. Grayness, you go ahead and manifest your pallor. I see the seeds of life and they are ready to explode!"

Romans 8:11: And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will also bring your mortal bodies to life through His Spirit who lives in you.

1 comment:

  1. Psalm 43:5

    Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God!

    One of my memory verses that I thought went well with this. The resurrection brings hope and ultimately faith. The spring brings hope and faith. If we never go through the winter, what can be hoped for? It its the low times in life that cause us to cherish the good things.

    Praise God that he is faithful to raise our lifeless miry bodies to share in his glory!!

    Wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete